VI Venice Summer School
European workshop of Industrial design
2011 Burkina Faso
17 august – 17 september
In 1949 during the 7th CIAM (Congrès International d’Architecture Moderne) in Bergamo (Italy) the programme for the first CIAM Summer School was put forward, a project which was offered to students from the countries in attendance at the Congress. The first edition of the international school was in 1951 in Hoddesdon (England) held at the same time as the 8th Congress – and second in England – and was under the guidance of Maxwell Fry. Two young Italians took part in the school, Franco Berlanda and Francesco Gnecchi-Ruscone, while the representatives from Italy among the coordinators were Franco Albini, Ignazio Gardella, Ernesto Nathan Rogers and Giuseppe Samonà.
The last of these was of particular interest to the school because he was the Director of the IUAV (Istituto Universitario di Architettura di Venezia or Venice University of Architecture) in Venice and it was he who moved the summer school to Venice. From September 10th to October 10th 1952 at the Palazzo Giustinian the Second Edition of the international school was held with the support of the IUAV. 60 students took part and Egle Renata Trincanato, Giancarlo De Carlo, Gino Valle and Franco Berlanda were among the assistants. The subject of the seminar was a Venetian problem, to find a solution for the area of land between the Santa Lucia railway station and Piazzale Roma.
The subject of the third edition of the Summer School, held in September 1953, was the future of the historic centre of Venice and its relationship with the mainland, with a special focus on finding a solution for the Central Pavillion of the Giardini della Biennale di Venezia and on the relationship between the exhibition, the Castello sestiere and its impact on the local urban fabric.
For the fourth edition in September 1954 six workgroups focused once again on the “bridge end” (Piazzale Roma) and traffic management, analysing the existing situation and working towards a solution.
Financial difficulties forced the school council to wait a year before holding the fifth edition which, in 1956, was boosted by Le Corbusier who was in Venice at that time and who was invited to the school to give a conference at Ca’ Giustinian on September 27th.
In 1956, during the 10th congress in Dubrovnik, members of the Team 10 decided to end the CIAM. The following year the final edition was held in Venice – the fifth in the lagoon city – changing its name but maintaining its focus on the city of Venice. It was called the Fifth International Summer Seminar in Architecture and was dedicated to the design of a new Pavillion for Italy in the Giardini della Biennale. The school, on the subject of Tradition and innovation in vegetable fibres’ design had Piero Moroni, Gabriele Scimemi, Francesco Tentori and Eduardo Vittoria as assistants and was attended by 19 young architects.
On the 17th of August in what has been a turbulent 2010 for European and especially Italian Universities, the sixth edition will take place. Bringing the Republic of Rwanda to the 12. International Exhibition of Architecture at La Biennale di Venezia by creating an European Industrial Design Laboratory with Rwandan students is part of the project this year. The aim is to create a Masters in Design with a specialisation in International Cooperation.